Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Fundraising Tips: Break It Down

Today's tip is all about breaking down your donations to make your fundraising goal more manageable. Reaching a goal of $200 (or whatever you've set yours at) is a lot less intimidating when you consider it broken up into smaller pieces. For example, think about this model for reaching $200:

Collect 100 dimes (=$10)
Ask two friends for $25 (=$50)
Ask two family members for $20 (=$40)
Ask a grandparent for $25 (=$25)
Ask five co-workers for $10 (=$50)
Ask two neighbors for $10 (=$20)
Make your own $5 donation (=$5)

Voila! $200! Easy as pie!

If you choose not to use that exact template, the point is to make a plan for yourself to break your goal into smaller chunks that you think you can manage. This is also a good thing to share with the people you ask to donate so they can see the benefit of even small donations and feel like they're still a part of your larger goal. For example, here are some ways to phrase your goal breakdown:
-I'm working to raise $200 for March for Babies, so if just 10 people donated $20, I'd reach my goal today!
-I have 400 Facebook friends. If just half of you could donate $1 to sponsor me in March for Babies, I'd reach my $200 goal!
-I've sent this email to 25 of my closest friends and family, so I'm asking each of you to consider donating only $8 to help me reach my goal of $200 together!


I'll leave you with some motivating March for Babies model babies. Feel free to pinch their little virtual cheeks through the screen.





(All images courtesy of the March of Dimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment