Sunday, March 21, 2010

bambini = babies

Welcome everyone to the Team Bambini blog!

Having asked all of you to join me in walking and raising money for March for Babies, I wanted a central place to share information on when, where, why, and how we can all participate.

So, for this inaugural post, the basics:

Our team is walking in the Weber/Davis County March for Babies, Saturday, May 1 in Layton, Utah at Layton Commons Park. Our goal is to raise $1500. That's 10 people raising $150, 20 people raising $75, six people raising $250, or one very generous donation. I assure you, we can do this, and it will be fun. Check this space often for fundraising tips, encouragement, event details, and all sorts of information about the March of Dimes. Please add this to your RSS feeds, Google Reader, bookmarks, favorites, or wherever you read blogs.

I'll begin with the first question on everyone's minds: why should I walk and where does the money go? Everyone has a different reason for walking and I hope this blog will help you find yours.

From the March for Babies website:
"When you walk in March for Babies, you give hope to the more than half a million babies born too soon each year. The money you raise supports programs in your community that help moms have healthy, full-term pregnancies. And it funds research to find answers to the problems that threaten our babies. We've been walking since 1970 and have raised an incredible $1.8 billion to benefit all babies."

This is my favorite graphic to use to help make the connection to the March of Dimes research and programs that we're raising money for:
(click and zoom if it's difficult to read)



And a visual of the March of Dimes umbrella of research - you might be surprised what's covered under there:


If you'd like to learn even more about the March of Dimes, this website has tons of information. Most of us on this March for Babies team have never had a baby born prematurely or with a birth defect or have experienced an infant death, but I can promise you, we've all been affected by the March of Dimes in some way (to be proven in an upcoming blog!). Also stay tuned for the "Why I Walk" posts where I hope some of you will consider sharing a little bit about your personal reasons for joining the team and raising money for the March of Dimes.

Thank you all so much for your help! I'm so excited to have my great big extended family come together to support me in this. It's going to be fun to watch this team grow and to see all your smiling faces at the walk...aiding me in my secret ambition to head up the largest and most successful family team in Weber and Davis counties!

I know you still have questions (is there a minimum donation to participate? do I bring my kids to the walk? what should my fundraising goal be? how do I sign up?), so please leave any and all questions you might have in the comments section so we can all read them, and I will either answer them there or in a separate post.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that getting donations is very fun and EASY. Just last week Heather helped me set up my web page and put a widget on my facebook page. My facebook friends could just click on the widget and go right to my page and sponsor me with a donation. Very easy. I also sent the link to my page via email to my friends who don't have facebook accounts. In only a week I reached my goal of $150 so I raised my goal to $200. Like I said, it's really fun and EASY. Can't wait for the walk!

    ReplyDelete